Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Tech seminars

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture
Tech seminars

I'm looking for ideas on a tech seminar or two. Sure, we can always do the Q&A session. People don't seem to ever get enough of that, and it is useful. However, I'd like to also do something specific. It could involve a display of some sort if I had enough time.

Charging systems
Drivetrain stuff
Fuel management
Accessory wiring
Servo brakes

What would YOU be interested in?

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Edited by: AntonLargiader on 2009-07-22 10:06
darrell
Seminar

Can we find someone that do an actual rear end rebuild on one of the GS models? Should include shims and all bearings. Would be nice if there was a hand out to follow during the demonstation.

darrell

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Takes too long to actually do one from the beginning, and too much stuff is needed (work stand, oven, etc.), but I can probably have a cutaway available.

Keep the ideas coming.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

AZgman
AZgman's picture

A Canbus tutorial would be great

How about a fuse block installation session as well?

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

BMWPhreak » wrote:
A Canbus tutorial would be great

How about a fuse block installation session as well?

+++1 :cool:

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

I think that's a GREAT idea! There are several different products out now, some good, some not so good. I can think of at least four off the top of my head.

Maybe where to source good quality components for interconnecting things, how to run the wires and so forth. Thanks!

And keep them coming... we don't have to limit ourselves to one.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

beemerphile1

This isn't motorcycle tech but I was just thinking a few days ago that I would like a session on GPS systems. I have a Tom Tom which is fairly intuitive to use but just got a Garmin Vista HCX which is way more complicated. This might be a subject that some other beemer riders would like.

womanridge
womanridge's picture

beemerphile1 » wrote:
This isn't motorcycle tech but I was just thinking a few days ago that I would like a session on GPS systems. I have a Tom Tom which is fairly intuitive to use but just got a Garmin Vista HCX which is way more complicated. This might be a subject that some other beemer riders would like.

+1 on a GPS seminar. They were supposed to do one at The VB II Rally, but it was more of a sales pitch rather than a "How To" demonstration. Many of us wanted to learn "How to use it". Street Pilot, Zumo, etc>

kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture

womanridge » wrote:
+1 on a GPS seminar. They were supposed to do one at The VB II Rally, but it was more of a sales pitch rather than a "How To" demonstration. Many of us wanted to learn "How to use it". Street Pilot, Zumo, etc>

+1 more - we hustled to get to the VBR GPS seminar and people in the audience knew more about the Zumo than the sales guy giving the presentation! :mad:

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture

How about a session on emergency roadside repairs like plugging a tire?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

womanridge
womanridge's picture

kewlmoose » wrote:

+1 on that as well! A great idea. And such a basic one too. Thanks.
Helen

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

kewlmoose » wrote:

That would be a good one. The local club I belong did one of these at a monthly meeting a few months ago. He brought in a tyre on a rim, were we tried several methords of plugging and inflating. note: a small pump that runs off of the BMW socket works best. IMHO anyways. :cool:

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Beemer-me-up » wrote:
That would be a good one. The local club I belong did one of these at a monthly meeting a few months ago. He brought in a tyre on a rim, were we tried several methords of plugging and inflating. note: a small pump that runs off of the BMW socket works best. IMHO anyways. :cool:

Yes, I agree on the pump. I bought one at the VBRII last year. Met up with a rider out in Oregon two weeks later and was able to assist him with his flat tire with the pump.
I'll bring it to the seminar, if we have one.

hankr

How about trouble shooting/servicing/maintaining/repairing ABS systems?[="black"][/]

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Noted! I think I have a bad ABS2 unit I can take apart for a demo, also.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Firebird
Firebird's picture

womanridge » wrote:
+1 on that as well! A great idea. And such a basic one too. Thanks.
Helen

+2 Emergency roadside quick fixes is something I would like to learn. What about tools to carry for long distance trips in case?

Will there be a first aide seminar?

Everyday is a new day to learn something new.

IBA# 35167
MD MSP, Rider's Edge certified riding instructor, actress, model and future famous film director
2005 F650 CS

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

You have an F650! No roadside repairs needed. Smile

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Firebird
Firebird's picture

AntonLargiader » wrote:
You have an F650! No roadside repairs needed. Smile

It could happen. WinkBiggrin

Everyday is a new day to learn something new.

IBA# 35167
MD MSP, Rider's Edge certified riding instructor, actress, model and future famous film director
2005 F650 CS

rvb1019
rvb1019's picture

A GS 911 demo would be cool to see too!

Any photographers in the group want to lead a discussion on taking better motorcycle pics?

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

GS-911 should be pretty easy. Photography... hmmm. That's a pretty good idea. I bet it would be popular.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

rvb1019
rvb1019's picture

Problem would be bring on LCD projector (or the like) to show some pics. I'm crazy enough to try and bring one but not when a new bulb is something like $500 a pop. :eek:

I'm sure there will be a ton of digi cameras and laptops. Unless someone from the area brings one......

pmdave

I intend to bring my laptop and Optima video projector for my seminar. You're welcome to use them.

pmdave

PaulZ
PaulZ's picture

Hey Anton,
I wish this would have occurred to me many months ago when you were looking for ideas, but here goes anyway ...

Being a new owner, as I was washing my bike today in preparation for the ride to the rally tomorrow, I was pondering all the adjustments (suspension, foot pegs, shifter, seat, and other modifications that would help the bike fit the rider) that a new owner should make so that the rider fits the bike (or the bike fits the rider), and thought this might be a good seminar topic.

The rider and bike could be examined, and adjustments made on the spot where possible, or recommendations made if equipment is required.

Possibly too fundamental for a rally, but just a thought.

-Paul Z

Join the BMW Riders Association