Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Hey guys

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
SteveT
Hey guys

I'm not trying to stir anything up with you guys, but I was on a ride this weekend around the same area as you guy were this weekend. I was with my uncle, dad and cousin. My dad and uncle have Raiders and my cousin an R1. I am a proud owner of a Yamaha FZ1 and we were very curious about a couple of things. The first being, how come none of you wave?! We kept getting rejected by you guys! The second thing we were curious about was why al of you had full gear on? I know its the smart thing to do, but I dont usually expect to see an entire population of bikers dressed in full gear.

-Steve

Edited by: SteveT on 2010-06-05 08:08
robnye

SteveT wrote:
I'm not trying to stir anything up with you guys, but I was on a ride this weekend around the same area as you guy were this weekend. I was with my uncle, dad and cousin. My dad and uncle have Raiders and my cousin an R1. I am a proud owner of a Yamaha FZ1 and we were very curious about a couple of things. The first being, how come none of you wave?! We kept getting rejected by you guys! The second thing we were curious about was why al of you had full gear on? I know its the smart thing to do, but I dont usually expect to see an entire population of bikers dressed in full gear.

-Steve

Hey Steve,

As a group we're pretty very safety concious and have a saying ATGATT which is all the gear all the time. More than a handful of the folks you saw have hundreds of thousands of miles on two wheels. The more you ride the more you'll appreciate good gear.

As for the waving my only guess is you were near the rally. Generally we're a "wavy" lot except when we're riding at the rally.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Yeah we always joke about why Harley riders never wave back (although really many of them actually do). At a rally it gets hard to ride with one hand if you're constantly waving at someone, so we typically get lax.

BMW riders do tend to gear up more than most. Once it becomes second nature it's not really much of a decision any more.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

SteveT

Oh definitely, Harley guys are too cool. I usually just wear a jacket, gloves, jeans, and some boots. If I'm really thrashing the bike I'll throw the leathers on. I wish I had done some more research on roads down there, some of them were pretty nasty. Hope you guys had a good time!

-Steve

Dutch

Hey all: Just finished unpacking the "mule" from the rally. What can you say; the roads were some of the narliest I have been on in a long time!! (Rt. 72 is really a state highway? No freaking way!!!) Sorry Steve if we seemed rude, we were probably busy triing not to get killed on some of those roads. We really are a very freindly bunch, really. As far as ATGATT goes, as a firefighter/EMT it doesn't take too many bike wrecks for you to realize that a"beanie" helmet and leather vest over shorts and tennis shoes doesn't provide a whole lot of protection. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

ackgs

Having owned several makes of bikes I can tell you that from my vantage point BMW people don't wave at others makes of bikes by and large. Curvy roads might be a reason at the rally but in my experience you could be on a 50 mile long straight away with no other traffic and if you wave at a BMW going the opposite direction from your non BMW you are going to be ignored. BMW owners are much friendlier though when they are broken down with a final drive issue and you stop. At least the guy was when I turned around on my Harley and went back to check on him. He was my new best friend. But he did not wave to me an hour earlier when I passed him going the other way. I don't know why BMW riders tend not to wave but again in my world thats the way it is. I pretty much wave at any motorcycle when safety concerns permit.

In regard to the gear that is the BMW "uniform" Harley guys want to look like outlaws and BMW guys want to look like European motorcycle cops. Different bike different clothes. The safety gear is a good idea but I do find the day-glo stuff a little odd. But to each their own.

SteveT

Well I obviously dont know who it was, but 2 people on what looked like dual sports (BMW obviously), passed my cousin and I in a double yellow when we were test riding one of those curvy roads before we went balls out. I definitely didn't expect it! Had to chase them for about 10 miles! I didn't know those recommended speed signs were followed by you guys! Fast in the straights slow in the turns?

As for waving, I try not to ignore anyone. I know a lot of guys on cruisers of any type don't want to wave at the hardass sportbike kid, which is by no means what I categorize myself as. But still, it must be uncool. I hate it thought when my dad and I are about to pass someone on a sportbike and they dont wave to him but they wave to me. I usually dont wave back! It gives the sportbikers a bad rep!

-Steve

Dutch

Hey all; Ackgs, I'm sorry that you find BMW riders unfriendly. I know from experience that such is not the case in general. (Although I will admit that there are a few snobs in this bunch, but that's the same with any batch of riders. I have been snubbed by more then one Harley rider because I ride a BMW. Trust me, most of us will wave if we can. As far as the apparel goes, I used to be one of those outlaws. I dressed the part and acted the part. (Have the scars to prove it too!) It's much safer being me now then before. By the way, I too, find the day-glo colors a bit too bright for my tastes, but the point is that you DO notice them!! Steve, we try, as good citizens,to follow all the rules of the road.... RIGHT !! I can't condone passing on the double yellow line, that's just not very smart, not to mention a great way to meet some of the local folks. (Like cops, Judges, paramedics, E.R. staff, etc,etc,) Just keep waving, most of us will wave back, trust me! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

manic mechanic
manic mechanic's picture

Read the thread about Many Thanks! That was me. Found out today the bike and the Exporer are both totalled. I understand there is/was a nice impression of my helmet in the back/top of the car. I didn't quite walk away, as first responders wouldn't let me get up, but everything is functional andI am vertical with no other injuries than the pelvis, probably from when I impacted the ground. So, in case you wonder why we wear the gear....

1976 R90/6, 2015 R1200GSA(W)

Rounder #6

Wisconsin Region Rep, MOA Ambassador

SteveT

Dont take offense to my question about wearing all the gear. I didn't know if it was a rule or something of the BMWRA.

marchyman
marchyman's picture

Not a rule, but culture.

Just as many (most?) crotch rocket sport riders wear brightly colored leathers and many (most?) cruiser riders wear chaps and black leather, many (most?) beemer riders will be found in their 'stich or other typically textile gear. All of us will have good reasons as to why we wear what we wear, but I think if anyone could get to the real reasons they'd find we wear what our friends wear. As ackgs said: it's the uniform.

Where it gets confusing are for those with MBS (multiple bike syndrome). Do they have to have 6 sets of gear to match the 6 kinds of bike in the garage? :confused:

As for waving.... I think I have a quota of so many waves/hour. Once I reach that quota I lose interest. Which leads to a question: When passing a group of bikes when do you stop waving?

SteveT

I dont think there is any other group of riders that seem to have an eerily similar wardrobe. I think it is unique and cool in a way, dont get me wrong. Most cruiser riders dont wear chaps and leather, I'd say half do. Sportbike riders are generally the poorest group of riders therefore limiting themselves to sandals and shorts with some knock off oakleys. I just really found it fascinating that as a group, you all stick to your guns and wear your gear. I wish I was as disciplined!

-Steve

marchyman
marchyman's picture

SteveT » wrote:
I dont think there is any other group of riders that seem to have an eerily similar wardrobe. I think it is unique and cool in a way, dont get me wrong. Most cruiser riders dont wear chaps and leather, I'd say half do. Sportbike riders are generally the poorest group of riders therefore limiting themselves to sandals and shorts with some knock off oakleys. I just really found it fascinating that as a group, you all stick to your guns and wear your gear. I wish I was as disciplined!

-Steve

I guess it depends upon where you are. Here in the SF peninsula the vast majority of cruiser riders wear chaps and black leather. If you happen to pass by one of the HOG outings (which are apparently are very popular with folks who are somewhat new to bikes) it would be rare to see one not in that uniform. I thought it was issued with a new HD purchase. Biggrin

Ditto sport bike riders leathers sporting knee pucks; sometimes bright red, other times your basic black. If you look close you'll see the leathers will typically be tucked into the boots. Part of the uniform.

But this is part of what you noted... If the sportbike riders in your area limit themselves to sandals and shorts those who likely could afford better gear may still not wear it because their friends don't wear it. Most folk like to be part of the group and go along with the group culture. It does not surprise me to find that the culture varies from location to location.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

SteveT » wrote:
Had to chase them for about 10 miles! I didn't know those recommended speed signs were followed by you guys! Fast in the straights slow in the turns?

Could be anyone, not just Beemers. Generally slowing down for turns is a sportbike or cruiser thing; sportbikes due to lack of rider training and cruiser due to lack of .. well, pretty much everything. Sure, you'll find some Beemer riders doing that, too. Also you can look at license plates and see if the rider likely comes from an area with challenging terrain. Midwest or gulf coast can be bad news. Sort of like being in the alps, where a Dutch license plate pretty much spells disaster if you can't pass.

Funny enough, most of the MC traffic I overtook on my way home from the rally was non-Beemer. It was just great riding day so people were out riding.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

SteveT » wrote:
Had to chase them for about 10 miles! I didn't know those recommended speed signs were followed by you guys! Fast in the straights slow in the turns?
-Steve

Slow in the turns, I dont think so...:cool:

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

robnye

SteveT » wrote:
Well I obviously dont know who it was, but 2 people on what looked like dual sports (BMW obviously), passed my cousin and I in a double yellow when we were test riding one of those curvy roads before we went balls out. I definitely didn't expect it! Had to chase them for about 10 miles! I didn't know those recommended speed signs were followed by you guys! Fast in the straights slow in the turns?

-Steve

If you felt like you "had to chase them for 10 miles" *after* they passed you *two up* I feel a little bit of a disconnect from "Fast in the straights slow in the turns". Wink

One of the best things about riding around WV is that if you want you can push pretty hard which *might* mean having to adjust your entry speed to the turns unlike New England. To have to adjust entry speed here means being double or triple the posted speed on the straight.

Unlike the kind officer who gave me a wave instead of a stop in WV, here they'd lock you up. :eek:

SteveT

I dont know where you are getting "2 up" from, no one had a passenger. My cousin and I were riding the road at a slightly tamed pace making the road was clear and free of gravel the whole way through before we hit it hard. But since someone passed us we decided to go along with them as we knew we could keep up with a couple of dual sports and if there happened to be gravel, they would see it first Biggrin

opqr320 (not verified)
For other uses

[=sans-serif]A hydraulic jackuses a fluid, which is incompressible, that is forced into a cylinder by a pump plunger. Oil is used since it is self lubricating and stable. When the plunger pulls back, it draws oil out of the reservoir through a suction check valve into the pump chamber. When the plunger moves forward, it pushes the oil through a discharge check valve into the cylinder. The suction valve ball is within the chamber and opens with each draw of the plunger. From [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(device)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(device)[/url] http://www.hydraulicliftJack.com[/]

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

[="4"]What ????:confused: [/]

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

uglybug

:winkWHAT..............you've never seen a thead killer?

Join the BMW Riders Association