Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Canaan Valley, 2009!

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture
Canaan Valley, 2009!

From our Rally Chair, Gordan Boltz:

Our 2009 Rally is going to be in the same locale as 2004. That is Canaan Valley, WV. The dates are July 23 to July 26, 2009.

We have picked this date in conjunction with BMW MOA. Our rallies will be on consecutive weekends, and we will give some sort of recognition to those that attend both.

We picked the location because it is close to the East Coast (an easy and inexpensive trip for many), yet offers great riding and facilities.

We estimate (based on pre-registrations) that in 2004 we would have had around 3000 attendees. Then we were hit by Hurricane Ivan. Homes were destroyed in FL and the south. Roads were closed in NC. Rivers went 9 feet over flood stage in Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV. Buckets of rain fell the entire rally.

Anyway, we felt the rally would have been the best one, and best attended, the RA ever had to that point if we hadn't been snake bitten by the weather.

So we thought it was worth trying again at the same place. We are working hard to make this the best RA rally ever.

We are renting the entire State Park, resort, ski lift, etc. The resort has upgraded its facilities and built a new pavilion. The local chamber of commerce has working on activities for us.

We are hoping to expand our off-road activities since that seems to be a direction BMW is going. We expect to have a dirt bike school, as well as both MSF classes and a Lee Parks "Total Control School"

BMW Classic (formerly BMW Mobile Tradition) has said they will send someone to our rally. Jeff Yost (of BMW Vintage Club) is trying to get together a vintage exhibit/show etc.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Edited by: AntonLargiader on 2009-06-04 17:45
MarkF
MarkF's picture

Yeah! Great locale. Should be even better without a hurricane.

Unfortunately, I can't attend for the same reason I no longer attend MOA rallies - Summer months are for family. I've said I prefer Fall but I would have made it in May or June.

It should be very successful so close in time and distance to the MOA rally. I hope it is and that you all have a great time. Ride Smoke Hole Rd!!!

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

OldBMWMaster
OldBMWMaster's picture
Looking forward to it

Barbie and I enjoyed the RA at the Biltmore House in Asheville and we are looking forward to this one. Hope to see some old friends. As usual, we can work the rally.

Jerry Dockery

Kure Beach, NC

Coastal Carolina Riders Club RA # 346

910-262-2843

Dan Wright

Excellent choice!!

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

This is an excellent location, and the timing with the BMW MOA rally should give a lot of riders some great options next summer. Here's to a very successful rally for the BMW RA!

Greg Feeler
1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS
2006 "Discover Yourself In Idaho" RA Rally Co-Chair
BMW MOA President

Bullit7801
Wow

Great! Two rallies for the same cross country trip. I'm IN!

tb

Tom "Bullit" Buttars, BMW MOA Treasurer
Autobahn Society, Big Sioux Riders, AMA
'78 R100RS,'01 R1100RS, I don't want a pickle....

Visian
Visian's picture

oh, i sure hope i can pull this off.

can't imagine a better way to spend a couple of weekends with several weekdays full of VA and WV roads in between!

ian

Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
'86 R80 G/SPD+ | '00 R1150 GS | '06 R1200 HP2e

Dutch

YES!!! Great riding all through this area, might be a bit hot that time of year, but what the heck!! Best of all, I can mooch off not one, but 2 of my children for room and board!! Outstanding!!! Looking forward to this summer for sure! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

MTSweger
Awesome!

AntonLargiader wrote:
Our 2009 Rally is going to be in the same locale as 2004. That is Canaan Valley, WV. The dates are July 23 to July 26, 2009.

Thanks, Anton. This is great news! Two national events on consecutive weekends and both located in superb riding country! Doesn't get much better than that. Biggrin

-MTS

Mike Sweger
Charlottesville, Virginia
2004 K1200GT
1991 K1 "blauerblitz"

manic mechanic
manic mechanic's picture

Great! And Ian and Tom (and anybody else out there), sounds like a great place to smoke some fine cigars.

1976 R90/6, 2015 R1200GSA(W)

Rounder #6

Wisconsin Region Rep, MOA Ambassador

MdRT

Looking forward to my first RA rally ever!

Michael

'03 R1200C Montana Flashtone (sold 2/06)

'05 R1200RT Dark Graphite (5/06)

beemerphile1

Sounds like so far the majority like the consecutive weekends with the MOA rally idea. Sucks for me though. My wife cannot take more than one week at a time off work. Choices, choices, it's one or the other rally for us. Frown

jeremell
jeremell's picture

beemerphile1 » wrote:
Sounds like so far the majority like the consecutive weekends with the MOA rally idea. Sucks for me though. My wife cannot take more than one week at a time off work. Choices, choices, it's one or the other rally for us. Frown

The wife doesn't HAAAAAAVE to go along...

MdRT
Hotlink when cabin/motel reservations can be made?

Will we all be notified when rooms may be booked?

Michael

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Sorry, December 1st AFAIK. You're seeing the result of us being understaffed at times... I'll try to get a firm date and post it on the website.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

MdRT » wrote:
Looking forward to my first RA rally ever!

I don't know if you have been to any other national rallys in the past, but the RA's rallys never disapoint me.

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

MdRT

Beemer-me-up » wrote:
I don't know if you have been to any other national rallys in the past, but the RA's rallys never disapoint me.

Yup, I've been to 2 MOA rallies (Lima and West Bend), and the Americade . How does the RA rally differ from MOA?

Michael

AZgman
AZgman's picture

MdRT » wrote:
Yup, I've been to 2 MOA rallies (Lima and West Bend), and the Americade . How does the RA rally differ from MOA?

IMHO, The RA rallies are much smaller (3000 vs 8000), with a "looser" vibe and less "official structure" to them. The MOA is your company's Christmas party and the RA is an evening with friends...

People will bitch and moan about both because you just can't please everyone!

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

MdRT » wrote:

What BMWPhreak says is a good analogy of the differences between the two rallys. The RA having smaller rallys can go to more interesting places. The MOA due to its size, goes to nice areas, but you usually wind up staying at a fair ground / horse track type grounds. If you are into the vendors then the MOA is the place. More people equals more venders. I wish I could do both this year as they both have their own charms. But alas, I have to work and can only pick one, so the RA it is. I was down near where the MOA is being held last year.

MarkF
MarkF's picture

BMWPhreak » wrote:
IMHO, The RA rallies are much smaller (3000 vs 8000), with a "looser" vibe and less "official structure" to them. The MOA is your company's Christmas party and the RA is an evening with friends...

Always enjoyed the beer garden & band at the RA more. Like a great local pub!

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

MdRT

OK, so a follow-up question. Though I've been to several rallies (see above), I've never been to two rallies in two weeks. My instinct is that I will be "rallied out" after one rally, having had enough of group activities for awhile. For those who have attended consecutive rallies, is that your collective experience as well? If so, MOA will win out for me -- my reservations are already made there.

Michael

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

MdRT » wrote:
OK, so a follow-up question. Though I've been to several rallies (see above), I've never been to two rallies in two weeks. My instinct is that I will be "rallied out" after one rally, having had enough of group activities for awhile. For those who have attended consecutive rallies, is that your collective experience as well? If so, MOA will win out for me -- my reservations are already made there.

rallied out:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

MdRT

Beemer-me-up » wrote:
rallied out:confused::confused: :confused:

OK, OK, I know that was heretical, so let me explain! Smile

I really enjoy riding in a group, having lunch with a group of riders, scoping out the vendors, etc. But I also really enjoy just riding, alone or two-up with my wife, on a beautiful road with no particular destination. Sooooo, will one good rally followed by another good rally be rally overload? If not, how bout 52 rallies, one every week? I know that would be too many for me, I would just want to ride alone and get away from the crowds.

Michael

osbornk

MdRT » wrote:
OK, OK, I know that was heretical, so let me explain! Smile

I really enjoy riding in a group, having lunch with a group of riders, scoping out the vendors, etc. But I also really enjoy just riding, alone or two-up with my wife, on a beautiful road with no particular destination. Sooooo, will one good rally followed by another good rally be rally overload? If not, how bout 52 rallies, one every week? I know that would be too many for me, I would just want to ride alone and get away from the crowds.

I live between the rallies. You can be assured that there is a lot of space to ride alone and get away from the crowds between the rallies. I think it would be interesting to ride over to KY from the MOA rally and wander through WV to the RA rally. You will see many unusual places and people as you ride.

ben721364

BMWPhreak » wrote:

People will bitch and moan about both because you just can't please everyone!

Well said, "The MOA is your company's Christmas party and the RA is an evening with friends..."

Marty Cover
rooms

MdRT » wrote:
Will we all be notified when rooms may be booked?

my daughter called a few weeks ago and got rooms.

beemerphile1
schedule conflict?

I have been doing a little planning of my vacations for next year. I just checked the AMA website and found a major problem in my opinion! :eek:

AMA Vintage Days and the BMWRA rally are on the same weekend! Frown How did that happen? The RA and AMA has always had a symbiotic relationship concerning Vintage Days. Lots of BMW riders attend annually and the Ohio RA group has even set up and taken down the air fences on the track for several years.

Someone didn't do their homework? :confused: Miscommunication?

Lazydays1953

Looking forward to this one big time! I just purchased my ole' 1992 K75S in classic black back from a friend who is no longer riding. I'm glad he took such great care of her! I absolutely love riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. . . . I can't wait!
See you all there. Regards, Eric R.

MarkF
MarkF's picture

beemerphile1 » wrote:
I have been doing a little planning of my vacations for next year. I just checked the AMA website and found a major problem in my opinion! :eek:

AMA Vintage Days and the BMWRA rally are on the same weekend! Frown How did that happen? The RA and AMA has always had a symbiotic relationship concerning Vintage Days. Lots of BMW riders attend annually and the Ohio RA group has even set up and taken down the air fences on the track for several years.

No they wanted it within a week of the AMA and that's the week that was available. Another reason to go back to the fall.

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

beemerphile1

MarkF » wrote:
No they wanted it within a week of the AMA and that's the week that was available. Another reason to go back to the fall.

Well, it's definitely the same week as the AMA since it's the same days. Tongue I know what you meant, you meant MOA, correct? Biggrin

Still sucks though, I can't be everywhere at once.

If I do the RA, I will miss both the MOA and Vintage Days. I can't take the week and a half off of work that would be necessary for the MOA and RA.

However, if I go to the MOA, I can still go to Vintage Days on Saturday because it is less than two hours from my home.

What they have done is create a situation where some have to choose between one or the other. I'm probably in the minority, but if it was a different weekend I and others wouldn't have to make that choice.:(

Dutch

Hey all; Yep, they are on the same week-end! Drat!! Don't usually miss the VMD but this year it look's like I may have to. Buy the way, what kind of weather can we expect down there? I know that Tenn will be hot, but what can we expect in W. Va.? Looking forward to this summer, (if it ever get's here!!)Vaya con Dios, Dutch

osbornk

Dutch » wrote:
Hey all; Yep, they are on the same week-end! Drat!! Don't usually miss the VMD but this year it look's like I may have to. Buy the way, what kind of weather can we expect down there? I know that Tenn will be hot, but what can we expect in W. Va.? Looking forward to this summer, (if it ever get's here!!)Vaya con Dios, Dutch

If we have normal weather, neither place will be terribly hot. The highs should be in the 80s and the nights are comfortably cool for camping. East Tennessee is in the mountains and is the weather is unlike the rest of Tennessee.

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

Dutch » wrote:

The last RA rally in WV in 04 wasn't do bad except for the hurricane that went through. :eek: Hopefully beter this time.

doggettbeemer

My husband and I ride two-up. We will attend the MOA and the RA this year. We also love our time alone. When we attend any rallies, we hang with people some times and other times we hop on the bike and take off by ourselves. We also choose to hotel it at the large rallies. This gives us quiet time when we're peopled out.

The small rallies such as Lunatic Fringe or Great River Road rally we enjoy camping.

doggettbeemer

beemerphile1 » wrote:

We're thrilled that the RA follows the MOA this year. This gives us plenty of time to get in some serious riding in that neck of the woods. It's all about choices. It sounds like you're going to the AMA. Guess we're all lucky that so much is available to do in the summer that is motorcycle related.

cornersquid
cornersquid's picture
So...Any word on bookings?

One post said you could book after 1 December. Another said his daughter already booked. I called Canaan and they said to call RA. Nothing on the web site that I can find. What is the deal?

Mark
RT, RS, R65

doggettbeemer
lodging

If you're talking about lodging you can call the Lodge at the rally at 800.622.4121 and mention the RA discount. I haven't called yet but will be this weekend.
Wink

cornersquid
cornersquid's picture
Booking Rooms at Canaan

When I first posted, I called Canaan and the person on duty told me there were no reservations available and that I had to go through the organization that had blocked the rooms (the RA). Someone from the RA called the sales office this morning and got it straightened out, so this afternoon, I was able to get a reservation.

The rooms are $91 a night plus tax at the "special rate" and they have the group name as "BMW Motorcycle Association" not "Rider's Association," so when you ask, use that moniker. If you're inclined, the resort also has cottages and cabins if they're not booked. I've used the cabins before when racing mountain bikes and they're nice. They come with some cooking utensils and so forth, which could come in handy as the lady at the reservations line made sure I knew the restaurants at the resort close at 9 PM.

I'm a "Hurricane at Canaan" survivor from the previous rally there, so I'm looking forward to one not held in hurricane season.

Mark
RT, RS, R65

doggettbeemer

Thank you so much for posting this information. When we call tomorrow to make our reservations, it'll be easier for us. Cabins are kind of sounding lik ea nice idea.

doggettbeemer

Made our reservations. At the time we called this afternoon only 1 cabin was left available. 2 bedroom. We got an efficiency. They do have rooms left at $91 per night. They are like motel rooms with internet.

Smile

MarkF
MarkF's picture
Camping?

Is the camping gonna be in the same place as 2004 or limited to the actual campground there? I did like the shower trailers but the low attendance meant no lines!

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

doggettbeemer

I've been told that the camping will probably be in the same area as 2004. The committee is looking into some alternative camping areas.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

At the moment the camping is assigned to the 'primitive camping' area on the left a little ways after you enter the park and before you go up the hill. The RV camping is immediately on the right after you enter the park. At least that's how it was as of the planning meeting I was at last fall.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

doggettbeemer
Lodging

If you called and were told the lodging was filled, please call again. The newbies weren't correct. Half the lodge is filled. That leaves 100 rooms. The cottages are filled.

This will be an awesome rally.

Tina Doggett
Awards Committee

Dutch

Hey all;Yep the RA and the AMA are on the same week-end. Major bummer for some. I really enjoy the VMD, but have to admit that the crowds can be a bit too much. Never been to an MOA rally, and only one RA rally, so I think I will forgo VMD this year and hit them both. I think I'll make three rallies over this time span, as the CMA is staging their Eastern National between these two rallies and it's also in W.VA. Talk about a full plate... Via con Dios, Dutch

AZgman
AZgman's picture

So, who do we call about a room?

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

*SHAG*

BMWPhreak » wrote:
So, who do we call about a room?

http://www.canaanresort.com/

2005 GS Rock Red 81k miles

doggettbeemer
Lodging Number

Call 1.800.622.4121 and mention the RA discount rate. It's $91 per night plus applicable taxes.

Tina

PaulZ
PaulZ's picture
1st rally

Just booked a lodge room for the rally via the 800 number. So, apparently rooms are still available.

kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture

Just booked a room. I was told it's filling up so better not procrastinate too much longer!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

SherpaMayberry

The Rally page is still not fully complete, but some day soon it should reflect that I am indeed providing services this year.

It's always hit or miss with the RA Rally since the date keeps floating around, seems it hits one of my regular events every other year.

Just another option for when those rooms run out!

Pages

Join the BMW Riders Association