Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

LEO question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture
LEO question

Kinda curious as to what kind of treatment we can expect to get from law enforcement in Da UP during the rally. We took a family vacation during the 4th of July week in 2005 hitting the Porcupine Mountains and then heading to Mackinaw Island for a couple of days. Extremely high number of police with radars out on the highways and most of the cars we saw pulled over had out of state tags. Sections of the state highways have a slow moving traffic lane periodically which close back down to two lanes after a few miles. A favorite tactic seemed to be for the squads to wait near the end of the stretches where the highway goes back to two lanes and picking off the fast movers. I was piloting the family minivan so we had many chances to watch packs of cars fly by and then see them lined up a few miles later getting 'awards'. Rarely did we see the cars
with Michigan tags in those groups & they were well represented in the fast mover packs. Any thoughts on whether rally goers will be getting any special attention?

Disclaimer: I'm not a speed racer type and in over 33 years driving/riding in the US and Europe I've only gotten one 'go fast award' given whilst I was passing. I'm also NOT advocating speeding or reckless driving.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Edited by: kewlmoose on 2008-05-30 10:18
jddlad

I travel the UP roads several times per year. Would be wise to watch the speed. There is a state road sign when you get on US2 (2 lane state hwy with periodic passing lanes) heading west (after you cross the big mac bridge) stating "this is not a freeway". Have been many bad (head-on collisions) so state police do patrol and ticket speeders. For the most part Michigan residents understand this and keep it between 60-63. Not sure if they target out-of-staters, but when I travel these roads I do notice most of the cars passing me speeding have out-of-state plates.

Jim D
04 R1150RT,95 R100M,79 R65 & two 74 Yamaha TX750

Patric
Patric's picture

Ya, the State boys up there will get you if'n your speedin' Smile . I When thru the UP on the way to Alaska last summer . We were going 60 or so , a car would pass us up . Then 3-4 miles down the road they would be pulled over . that happend 3-4 times .

Every time I been to the UP , that is pretty much they way it is up there . It was been that way for years , so don't be in a hurry . :cool:

rockers
rockers's picture
"da UP" LEO

I've run across da UP, 4 times this Spring without Wisconsin plates, usually 60-70 in a 55 MPH, with radar detector on. No issues, just one drive by warning. No promises but officers seem to be king to Motorcyclists that are speeding but behaving. Michigan is in a financial crisis..so it's hard to say..do they need budget money thru tickets or want to help promote tourism. You won't be bored with the scenery, so most won't be going to fast.

kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture
LEO's

Thanks for the input. Sounds like there's heavy enforcement all the time.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Join the BMW Riders Association