Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Thanks For A Great Rally!

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
scbmwrider
scbmwrider's picture
Thanks For A Great Rally!

Thanks for all who were involved! It was a GREAT rally........Now where is 08 going to be?????

Ride Safe

Greg Hunt Moore, SC

93 K75S
84 R100RT

Klassic K Kampout VI July 12-14 2013

Klassic K Kampout stuff

MOA #52651, RA #28912, SLEDDOG, CONEBUTT
DOD #1698 K-whiner #350
Squid Factor 11.72 (calculated the orginal DOD way)

Edited by: scbmwrider on 2007-07-02 10:01
dalemyersmacon
Great Time

Hats off to the organizers and the Biltmore Staff for a great rally.
Well done.
Thanks!

osbornk

dalemyersmacon » wrote:
Hats off to the organizers and the Biltmore Staff for a great rally.
Well done.
Thanks!

X2

This Rally and the Birmingham Rally are my all time favorites!

Roland
Rally

Ditto !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

stardw

Same here! My first rally and I joined the RA.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

stardw » wrote:
Same here! My first rally and I joined the RA.

Cool! I hope you enjoy the mag.

I went; in fact if you went to the tech session on Friday I was one of the presenters. But that's jumping the gun. We left Charlottesville on Wednesday about 2:00 PM, Meredith on the /3, I was on the R100GS, and my sister (who has taken the MSF and ridden twice in parking lots) was on my /5. We headed out to the Blue Ridge and the following afternoon we were in Asheville.

Meredith and I set up camp in the quiet area to the north, while my sis and my dad (who drove down) moteled it. Friday morning was my tech session, At lunch we went out to meet some friends at Lake Lure, then had to be back for a dinner at the Inn. Saturday I can't remember what we did; wasted a lot of time I guess and then rode in the mountains for a while before coming back for the awards. Sunday AM Meredith left early on the GS to slab home, while my sister and I took two days.

Overall I think it was good. There was definitely a weakness in the plumbing area; the suppliers really let us down there but in general a decent shower could be had in the green trailers with not much waiting. The white ones near Sherpa Mayberry were simply horrible, no argument there. Another thing brought up was that we needed a place for people to wash hands before dinner. Noted for future reference, I hope.

Not that many people attended the seminar. It was in the program but otherwise we didn't promote it much. Free coffee and pastries... Joe Katz and Guenther Wuest (and I) spoke about issues regarding Airheads and Oilheads, for the most part.

Another thing that happened without much promotion was the vintage display. Really, at a rally like this you have to be part of it and go to different things to see how they are, rather than deciding on all of these things in advance. I wish a few other people had shown up with older bikes.

The grounds were a bit dusty but that's preferable to the weather we had at Canaan and Shelbyville! It could have been managed a bit better but for the most part that was the price to be paid for no rain. If we had realized earlier what would happen, I think we could have eliminated nearly all vehicle traffic through rally central (between the bridge and the vendor area), which would have kept the dust down a bit more. Live and learn.

Overall I think it was great, and it was a real privilege to be able to host a rally there. I am partial to really beautiful surroundings and that was a great place to be. Additionally, the surrounding roads really rock, although I hardly got out to ride. I also never went through the house!

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Dan Wright

A big thank you to all who arranged and worked to make this rally the great event it was. Here are a few pics.

Rally grounds from the far end.

The big house.

Vintage display.

Dan Wright

More vintage.

Awards Ceremony.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Hey, I like that last picture. Smile Here are a few more:

Fun with cameras...

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Dan Wright

AntonLargiader » wrote:

Fun with cameras...

Really nice shots Anton! You must have been up early to catch the "golden hour".

DannyWiley

I heard a lot of complaints about the shower situation, but I had no problems. I showered twice in the white showers by the sherpa area. There was plenty of hot water and no wait either time. The key seemed to be showering at off-peak times.

The shower area wasn’t as clean as I would have liked, but much of the fault for that lies with our fellow rally goers. Keeping in mind that we were camping in an area not really designed for camping, I thought it was fine. To me, the surroundings were worth the minor deficiencies.

Some porta johns on the other side of the field would have been nice, but no big deal. I worked registration from 5 to 9 Thursday, and the lack of any toilet facilities in the registration area was annoying. Suffice it to say that the trees in the area were well taken care.

I had a blast touring the home and the grounds, wading the river, riding great roads in the area, and generally chilling with rally buddies. Love the new Held summer gloves I picked up from one of the vendors. Enjoyed the band on Friday night. Not so crazy about the band Saturday night, but having worked on such things I know that no band will appeal to everyone.

rickg

This was my 1st RA National and had a blast. Thanks to everyone responsible for putting this on.

My rally recap looks like this:

8 Days,
2,400 miles
9 States
1 Rally
1 Biltmore Tour
2 Motorcycle Museums (Wheels Through Time & Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum).
Lots of curvy roads.
No performance awards!!!!

Rick G

Floridafeeger
Floridafeeger's picture
Thanks for the Memories

Well, I rode my FJR1300, camped with the BMW's, and rode the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway, and slept on the Biltmore estate - WHAT A TRIP !!! I met some really nice people along the way and plan on many more BMW rallies!! Thanks to everyone that made this event happen:) .

AZgman
AZgman's picture

I had a great time going to and coming back from the rally. The location was awesome and the Biltmore crew did a fine job of welcoming our group. I do have a SUGGESTION for improvement however. For those of us who do not camp, having no shuttle service from/to the front gate was a pain. Also the fact that the shuttle stopped at 6:30 PM was not very convenient. I know most people camp, so I can understand more bias toward the majority, but a small correction would have made it great for everyone.

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

gnavecky
“The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”

This was my first RA National Rally. I have been to the last 2 MOA and the last 3 Finger Lakes rallies. Compared to them I rate it a 7 out of 10. Here’s is my “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”. Over all I had a great time.

The Good:
Location, Location, Location. Western North Carolina as some of the BEST riding on the Right Coast. And being at the Biltmore was GREAT!!:D

The Bad:
Main camping and venders were in a DUST bowl. No showers in the quite camping area. The Biltmore Police with there radar. They were bad on Thursday, but seamed to go away Friday and Saturday. The price of food. :mad: And only food from the Biltmore. $6.00 for a hotdog give me a break.

The Ugly:
The white showers on Friday where not to bad. But on Saturday they where down right disgusting. Did any body ever clean them!!:eek:

Chuck Luck
Chuck Luck's picture

agree

great roads....

tent area was a dust bowl. i went with my son to the Double Tree and spent $180 per night as sonn as we saw that. never even got off the bike. with ALL of the great areas to place tents they place them on the main road. not where i would camp if it was me.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

You should have tried getting off the bike. The camping area down the road was totally dust-free (you passed it on your way out) and the opposite end of main camping was pretty clear also. Rally central itself was dusty, though.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

osbornk

gnavecky » wrote:
This was my first RA National Rally. I have been to the last 2 MOA and the last 3 Finger Lakes rallies. Compared to them I rate it a 7 out of 10. Here’s is my “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”. Over all I had a great time.

The Good:
Location, Location, Location. Western North Carolina as some of the BEST riding on the Right Coast. And being at the Biltmore was GREAT!!:D

The Bad:
Main camping and venders were in a DUST bowl. No showers in the quite camping area. The Biltmore Police with there radar. They were bad on Thursday, but seamed to go away Friday and Saturday. The price of food. :mad: And only food from the Biltmore. $6.00 for a hotdog give me a break.

The Ugly:
The white showers on Friday where not to bad. But on Saturday they where down right disgusting. Did any body ever clean them!!:eek:

I agree with the good but I think the bad and ugly were a result of circumstances. The Rally was plannaed long in advance and nobody could have predicted the drought conditions and extreme conditions. In normal years, the location would have been a beautiful green and much cooler. I think the Biltmore police were like Barney Fife "nip it in the bud" until they realized that BMW riders aren't what they consider "normal" riders. I think the food being supplied only by the Biltmore was a condition of allowing the Rally to be there. The excessive price of the food was a part of the entrance fee. I think the lack of showers and the lack of cleaning was due to the need for water, sewer and electricity as well as the attendance was far more than anyone could have estimated months in advance.

Rod Sheridan
Rod Sheridan's picture

Diann and I had a good ride down, spent 1 1/2 days on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and really enjoyed our visit to Biltmore.

The showers weren't great, however the cold water does to move people through the showers at a brisk rate. Perhaps since this was a BMW rally it's in keeping with German efficiency!

We worked the door prize booth for 3 hours on Friday, met Dave, and had a great time helping out. We always volunteer for something at rallies, it makes the rally more enjoyable, and you get to meet people.

If you haven't volunteered before, I suggest that you give it a try at your next rally.

Regards, Rod.

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture
Showers?

There were showers there? Oh well. I have been to around 20 Rallys, RA and MOA and this is by far one of the better rallys that I have been to. I want to thank everone who pitched in for a job well done. I don't envy the people running next years rally, where ever that is, as this willl be hard to beat and I think you have raised the bar for future RA rallys... B.M.W. Bitch, Moan & whine. My only whine is the number of vendors. I know a lot of them went to Americade instead. I don't think anyone anticapated the number of riders to the RA rally this year would be that large. If this keeps up it will start to (Heaven forbid) look like a MOA rally. :eek: Just my 2 cents worth

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture
Some rally pictures

Smile Here are a few more photo's from the rally. We stayed in the quite camping area.

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

Join the BMW Riders Association