Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

camping questions

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
gigantor
camping questions

Hey,

Do we have any intel on the camping facilities? My biggest question would be centered around shade - is there any? :confused:

Will there be any indoor showers and bathrooms or will it all be trucked in? :confused:

I'm really looking forward to this rally. Ok, sure, it's single digits here in NY and my electric heating isn't working so I've been grounded for two weeks as I try and sort it out. But I think it's more than that. I had a pretty good time at Shelbyville. I didn't have as good a time in Vermont last year but that was prolly my fault - spent too much time volunteering w/ Bob & Naomi w/ the vintage bikes. Anyway, time to start dreaming. :o

Edited by: gigantor on 2007-06-06 20:41
Fritzc
Shade

gigantor » wrote:
Hey,
Do we have any intel on the camping facilities? My biggest question would be centered around shade - is there any? :confused:

After sunset, It is all shade. :rolleyes:
Fritz

osbornk

gigantor » wrote:
Hey,

Will there be any indoor showers and bathrooms or will it all be trucked in? :confused:

I'm really looking forward to this rally. Ok, sure, it's single digits here in NY and my electric heating isn't working so I've been grounded for two weeks as I try and sort it out. But I think it's more than that. I had a pretty good time at Shelbyville. I didn't have as good a time in Vermont last year but that was prolly my fault - spent too much time volunteering w/ Bob & Naomi w/ the vintage bikes. Anyway, time to start dreaming. :o

I enjoyed Shelbyville also but I think this one will be much better and more like Birmingham. It is at the perfect time of year for the gardens and temperature.

hadababyitsabeemer
hadababyitsabeemer's picture

What area of the grounds will the camping be held?

oilhead05rt
oilhead05rt's picture

I emailed the rally chair and she sent me the following info regarding restrooms and showers:

"We will have restroom/shower trailers on the rally site. We will be tracking the pre-registration numbers and have made provisions to add additional shower trailers if warranted. In addition, there will be porta potties located in strategic areas in the camping area.

Even though Biltmore wasn't made for tent camping, they've done a great job in providing the necessary water and electricity for us to have these facilities."

I'm not familiar with "restroom/shower trailers" but I assume they will be clean and with hot water.

Roy Fant
Atlanta, GA
'05 R1200RT

bmwloco
bmwloco's picture

There's always the French Broad River.

Jump in, scrub off with sand, rinse.

Native Americans did it there long before George Vanderbilt decided to build the estate.:D

oilhead05rt
oilhead05rt's picture
Been there and done that!

The water in the French Broad is ice cold even in August.:eek:
Adds even more meaning to the term "shrinkage".;)

Roy Fant
Atlanta, GA
'05 R1200RT

bertbrumfield
bertbrumfield's picture

oilhead05rt » wrote:
I'm not familiar with "restroom/shower trailers" but I assume they will be clean and with hot water.

These are shower stall/dressing room booths mounted on flatbed trailers with built in water tanks generator and source of heat. They are commercially available in limited numbers and are used most often in the western US for large forest fires to support the hundreds of firefighters called in to a wilderness area to fight the fires. They have been used ar BMW rallies in the past and are great.

They will be as clean as the people who use them in front of you [And BMW people are always considerate, aren't we?] WinkWinkBiggrin

Bert Brumfield
BMWRA Region Rep North Carolina

oilhead05rt
oilhead05rt's picture
Sounds like a plan!

Thanks for the info Bert, I'll look forward to checking them out.

And we are a very considerate clan!;)

Roy Fant
Atlanta, GA
'05 R1200RT

scbmwrider
scbmwrider's picture

oilhead05rt » wrote:
The water in the French Broad is ice cold even in August.:eek:
Adds even more meaning to the term "shrinkage".;)

YES it is. Dumpped a canoe a little upstream of Masrhall a few years ago. It was basically pinned to some rocks and after about 40 minutes in the water cold cold had a new meaning:eek: .

Ride Safe

Greg Hunt Moore, SC

93 K75S
84 R100RT

Klassic K Kampout VI July 12-14 2013

Klassic K Kampout stuff

MOA #52651, RA #28912, SLEDDOG, CONEBUTT
DOD #1698 K-whiner #350
Squid Factor 11.72 (calculated the orginal DOD way)

bmwloco
bmwloco's picture

Most of the water in the area (especially in Pisgah National Forest) stays at about 54F. Cold. Winter or summer.

I was a lifeguard at Sliding Rock while in college. It paid the bills, and I hauled the touristas out regularly. 10" of water at the top, 8' at the bottom, and cold deep. Folks from warmer climates would absolutely freak hitting the water - and often flail their way into a panic. It didn't disturb the trout though (big 'uns lurk among the folks freaking to get out of the water).

I thought that was cold until I went swimming at Palmer Station in Antarctica. The sea water doesn't freeze until 28F due to the salinity, so it was COLD.

Nothing seems to compare now.

bertbrumfield
bertbrumfield's picture

For additiona details, go back up and see my post under RV camping. Smile

Bert Brumfield

Wandrr
Coffee and Breakfast

My wife and I will be camping and wondered if there will be breakfast and/or coffee offered at the rally site. Tough to get going without the morning coffee. With the limited space on the LT for two up and gear it helps to conserve space without bringing coffee fixins.
WANDRR

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Coffee will be offered at Rally Central, catered by the estate. I'm not sure if breakfast will be available at Rally Central itself, more likely you would go up to one of the restaurants which are about a half mile away. Ride or take the rally bus.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Hotsauce

I understand that Biltmore will have Breakfast Lunch and Dinner available and snacks in between. Don't know what the cost will be. Hopefully it will be reasonable.

bertbrumfield
bertbrumfield's picture

Food and coffee WILL be available at the rally area.

Bert Brumfield

dalemyersmacon
Bed and Breakfast room

I had to cancel my reservations at Corner Oak Manor, a Bed and Breakfast near the rally in Asheville. If you need a room call:
888-633-3525
I know most of Asheville is booked so hopefully someone can use this reservation.
Dale

K12RiSING

More camping questions. I'm going to be a late arrival and I didn't pre register. Will I be able to arrive in the wee hours of the morning (1-3am). Can I set up a tent at that hour? How far will I have to lug my stuff or will I be able to park next to where I set up? I'm coming from upstate NY and I'm slabbin it just to get there in one shot. This is my first post/rally try and be kind if it shows up in the nether regions of this board. Thanks. Peace all, Garson. 99 K RS Silver/Blue

Join the BMW Riders Association