Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Thanks For The Memories

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chawilk
Thanks For The Memories

Thanks to all the organizers & volunteers that made the Boise meet happen.

My brother & I rode our old airheads down from Vancouver Canada. Incredible secondary roads all the way, windstorms, monsoons, lightning, hail, 100+ heat - we had it all. Everyone we met at the event & in the town itself were super friendly. The local BMW shop did a quick tire balance for me - no charge!

Was a bit dissapointed there weren't more vendors, used parts & the like - but what was there was good. Also, finding a cup of coffee at 6:30 AM was a bit of a challenge. Even the Boy Scouts (who made a mean burrito) didn't have their coffee unit prep'd & ready (which seemed to really embarass them given their motto & all). But those were tiny nit picks. Enjoyed the 'Cornering' seminar and especially the excellent ERC course.

Made some new friends, met up with some old ones, had an amazing ride home (including running out of fuel in Nth Ore. due to miscalculation over gallon/liter conversion re high speed fuel burn - coasting down 5 miles of mountain pass, rolling right into a truck stop in the middle of nowhere). Look forward to returning to Idaho with more time to explore Hell's Canyon etc.

Thanks everyone for the hospitality. Ride the summer.

Next year.

Charles Wilkinson
Black '83 R-100

Edited by: Chawilk on 2006-08-08 19:27
pmdave

Ditto on "thanks to all the volunteers". This was another quality event--as compared to "quantity" events where numbers are used as an indication of the enjoyment. Yes, the vendor area had lots of vacant booth spaces, but the vendors who were there had good stuff, not the trinkets often hawked at larger rallies.

Free coffee was available in the registration building every morning, and also at "coffee with Dave" in a separate building on Friday and Saturday mornings, where we had some interesting discussions as well as pastries and bananas. Turns out that bananas are as popular as donuts for the aging BMW crowd, and they just happen to match the color scheme of my oilhead GS.

The dynamic duos of Matt/Susanna Parkhouse and Paul/Voni Glaves both gave presentations on their travels to appreciative audiences. The air-conditioned fairgrounds buildings were much appreciated, considering the summer temperatures in Boise.

So, kudos to the folks who made this happen. Rallies take a surprising amount of time, effort, and cash to accomplish.

Following the rally, some friends and I rode north to Clarkston WA, and took the Monday jet boat ride up the Snake into Hells Canyon. Fantastic scenery, two stops up, lunch at the south end, and one stop on the return. Hundreds of rapids to splash through, and about as bumpy as a good GS ride on a gravel road. It's a trip I've been meaning to do for many years.

Tuesday we continued west into the Columbia Gorge to Stevenson, and Wednesday north on FS 25 up the east side of Mt. St. Helens. Whoops! mist, then fog and rain, so we couldn't see anything except snags appearing out of the fog and disappearing behind us. On a good day, I know the scenery is spectacular.

Glad I included the RA rally in my summer plans.

pmdave

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture
Thanks to all!

For my part this rally took a lot of effort because we didn't really get the rubber to the road until the middle of February. Doing in four months what should take nine months or a year becomes a push. But, it was all worth it! We've had a lot of good feedback from folks who said they had a great time and would come again. That's all the pay you get for being a Rally Chair, Committee Chair, or general volunteer - yet it's worth far more than any other payment.

My thanks to all the volunteers who helped make this happen! To a man (and woman) they have said they would do it again - as would I. Thanks for coming, Dave, and adding so much to our event. There's every chance there will be another Idaho rally sometime in the future.

Greg Feeler
1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS
2006 "Discover Yourself In Idaho" RA Rally Co-Chair
BMW MOA President

Tallyho
Tallyho's picture
Quite an Experience!

How could you give kudos to the rally without mentioning the belly dancing and snake charming babes on Friday night! I would venture to say I would never see that at an MOA rally! Adding the Mike's Lemonade was a nice treat at the Beer Garden as well.

We(my wife and our friends Steve and Mia) really enjoyed the rally and all it had to offer. The Double Tree was close and offered to shuttle us back and forth on the evenings we sought adult libations. The Stagecoach Steakhouse next door served up an excellent slab of beef or huge prawns with plenty of local flavor. The location of the venue made the routes in and out from NorCal quite interesting and we had numerous "firsts" during the trip. First time hailed on near Bend, OR, first time sliding in Mormon Crickets in Humboldt Canyon, first time arriving into town(Crescent City) where all the power was out, and our first time watching the pavement spontaneously end(Clear Lake) for 3 miles in a construction zone. Snow at Crater Lake, oppressive heat in Nevada, hot and humid in Boise, with downpour and thunderbolts near Elko, NV. That's what touring is all about and since we all stayed upright, we loved every minute of it! How about Maine next year?

I was not dissappointed in the vendors as they did seem to be quality businesses promoting quality products. I can tell you it pays to sign up with the vendors for their individual drawings. While none of us won any of the RA door prizes we did come away with a Rick Mayer Saddle and a trip to New Zealand. Not bad, eh?

It was a pleasure to spend some time at the seminars and especially the sessions with Dave Hough. Having Dave there was clearly a value added bonus to the rally and I have already shown off my autographed copy of Street Strategies to several friends some of whom were surprised it had nothing to do with Wall Street.:rolleyes: I would also like to compliment the organizing committee on several fronts. Nearly everything was on time! The BBQ was excellent and it was great having a cold bottle of water at the ready as we arrived. I thought the packets were exceptional with a lot of great information and we really appreciated the time and effort that went into the verticle-flip, spiral bound local ride maps. They fit perfectly in our tankbags and we used them several times including photos at the 45th parallel. We also ordered coffee at White Cloud and found it and our free travel mug on the doorstep when we arrived home.

We met many nice folks and stimulated the economy enroute, locally, and through the many vendors. Everyone we ran into in Boise seemed to know BMW was in town! It would be nice to see more couples at the rally but I suppose each organization has its own membership dynamics.

Nice job, well done, ride on my friends! Wink

Bob Morrow #28671
BMWMOA - BMWRA - RCB - AMA
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

Tallyho wrote:
How could you give kudos to the rally without mentioning the belly dancing and snake charming babes on Friday night! I would venture to say I would never see that at an MOA rally! Adding the Mike's Lemonade was a nice treat at the Beer Garden as well.

We(my wife and our friends Steve and Mia) really enjoyed the rally and all it had to offer. The Double Tree was close and offered to shuttle us back and forth on the evenings we sought adult libations. The Stagecoach Steakhouse next door served up an excellent slab of beef or huge prawns with plenty of local flavor. The location of the venue made the routes in and out from NorCal quite interesting and we had numerous "firsts" during the trip. First time hailed on near Bend, OR, first time sliding in Mormon Crickets in Humboldt Canyon, first time arriving into town(Crescent City) where all the power was out, and our first time watching the pavement spontaneously end(Clear Lake) for 3 miles in a construction zone. Snow at Crater Lake, oppressive heat in Nevada, hot and humid in Boise, with downpour and thunderbolts near Elko, NV. That's what touring is all about and since we all stayed upright, we loved every minute of it! How about Maine next year?

I was not dissappointed in the vendors as they did seem to be quality businesses promoting quality products. I can tell you it pays to sign up with the vendors for their individual drawings. While none of us won any of the RA door prizes we did come away with a Rick Mayer Saddle and a trip to New Zealand. Not bad, eh?

It was a pleasure to spend some time at the seminars and especially the sessions with Dave Hough. Having Dave there was clearly a value added bonus to the rally and I have already shown off my autographed copy of Street Strategies to several friends some of whom were surprised it had nothing to do with Wall Street.:rolleyes: I would also like to compliment the organizing committee on several fronts. Nearly everything was on time! The BBQ was excellent and it was great having a cold bottle of water at the ready as we arrived. I thought the packets were exceptional with a lot of great information and we really appreciated the time and effort that went into the verticle-flip, spiral bound local ride maps. They fit perfectly in our tankbags and we used them several times including photos at the 45th parallel. We also ordered coffee at White Cloud and found it and our free travel mug on the doorstep when we arrived home.

We met many nice folks and stimulated the economy enroute, locally, and through the many vendors. Everyone we ran into in Boise seemed to know BMW was in town! It would be nice to see more couples at the rally but I suppose each organization has its own membership dynamics.

Nice job, well done, ride on my friends! Wink

Damn, Bob, you are going to make me blush! :eek: I've been derailed for a few weeks after the rally and am just now getting back to important things - like this. The "payday" Jerome and I, and the rest of the folks who worked hard to put this on get is when folks say they had a good time. Thanks! The whole rally/touring/voluntering thing really gets into your blood after a while. There is nothing like it, and in my experience no people like the ones you meet out doing it who are equally as crazy as you. Wink

Greg Feeler
1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS
2006 "Discover Yourself In Idaho" RA Rally Co-Chair
BMW MOA President

Join the BMW Riders Association