Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Spuds, Suds, Ice Cream

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
X-Troller
X-Troller's picture
Spuds, Suds, Ice Cream

Lets make this a thread to enlist the riders that want to do the Peaks of America Tour.
I plan on leaving the St. Ptersburg area on or about July 1 to start my trip to Idaho.
When and where is eveyone else starting from?

Knick

05 R1200ST

03 Vespa ET4

Edited by: X-Troller on 2006-08-08 19:20
GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture
Great name!

X-Troller wrote:
Lets make this a thread to enlist the riders that want to do the Peaks of America Tour.
I plan on leaving the St. Ptersburg area on or about July 1 to start my trip to Idaho.
When and where is eveyone else starting from?

That's a great thread title for the POA Tour. Traffic has been slow here, but hopefully will pickup as we get closer to the rally. Unfortunatly, I'm not going to be able to make all three events (just Boise & Vermont), but it will be great to see a lot of others do it. Biggrin

Greg Feeler
1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS
2006 "Discover Yourself In Idaho" RA Rally Co-Chair
BMW MOA President

Recht (not verified)

I'm in. Leaving New York July 2nd.

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

Recht wrote:
I'm in. Leaving New York July 2nd.

I think you'll have a fair amont of company. I keep hearing more and more about folks planning on making the POA Tour! Sure wish I could go. Frown

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

Boxer
Boxer's picture

Looks like I may be doing it. Just got permission from the spouse! Whoo Hoo!
Tentatively I would leave Atlanta on Monday the 3rd.

This is gonna be one fun ride. I almost made it to Paonia two years ago when I rode out to Spokane and went through Colorado that week before. Ended staying with a nephew in Ouray for that weekend. This'll be the first RA Rally for me.

North Georgia

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

Boxer wrote:
Looks like I may be doing it. Just got permission from the spouse! Whoo Hoo!
Tentatively I would leave Atlanta on Monday the 3rd.

This is gonna be one fun ride. I almost made it to Paonia two years ago when I rode out to Spokane and went through Colorado that week before. Ended staying with a nephew in Ouray for that weekend. This'll be the first RA Rally for me.

I think you're going to have a heck of a good time! We're working on a great rally in Boise, and I know Paonia is always good, as is the 'MOA rally. To say "working on Boise" is the literal truth. It's a perfect spring day here: 75, clear, light breeze - perfect day for a ride, but I'm at the keyboard puting pieces together. Frown All for a good cause, though.

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

robdogg

me and a friend will be riding in from Seattle for the Boise rally then down to Colorado for a week of riding and the Top o the Rockies rally; gotta head home after that. If the MOA rally wern't half a continent away; then a full continent back home, we'd have loved to hit the triple crown

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

robdogg wrote:
me and a friend will be riding in from Seattle for the Boise rally then down to Colorado for a week of riding and the Top o the Rockies rally; gotta head home after that. If the MOA rally wern't half a continent away; then a full continent back home, we'd have loved to hit the triple crown

Yeah, but you're still going to have a great time riding some of the greatest motorcycle roads in North America. Biggrin We'll be selling Peaks Of America Tour t-shirts if that would make you feel any better. Wink

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

robdogg

so instead of three peaks, would that be twin peaks?

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

robdogg wrote:
so instead of three peaks, would that be twin peaks?

Where's my SEG emotocon when I need 'em? :cool:

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

Joe Petty
Joe Petty's picture
Convoy?

I am planning on the Peaks tour, leaving from Boca Raton, Fl on '93 K1 around July 1
Where is a good place to do July 4th?
Let's ride!!!

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

Joe Petty wrote:
I am planning on the Peaks tour, leaving from Boca Raton, Fl on '93 K1 around July 1
Where is a good place to do July 4th?
Let's ride!!!

Where do you think you'll be about then? (IOW, when do you plan on getting to Boise?) I spent the 4th one time in a small town in Nebraska while on a ride - it was very weird. :rolleyes:

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

X-Troller
X-Troller's picture

Last year I spent the 4th in Durango Co. on the way out to Laguna Seca. It was a fun town. I'll probably stop there again next month on my way to the AMA races in Utah.

Knick

05 R1200ST

03 Vespa ET4

John Brase

Last 4th of July I rode two lane "blue highways" through W. VA and Ohio. Nearly every small town had streets blocked off for a parade or some other festivity. If you do something like that, plan a little extra time.

John

Joe Petty
Joe Petty's picture
4th activities

Just thinking about the 4th
- Rather not be on the road with all the "celebrants" out driving
- Really like to be in a real Mid-American town drinking real cold beer

Weather will play into this, since I haven't decided on a cross country route yet; want to avoid bad weather and try to find a cool and scenic route.

At any rate, it's too early to solidify a plan, but not too early to start thinking!

Let's get a good rendevous point for the 4th, and a few candidates for overnight towns on the way across, and any who want to join up for the ride out can.

wideone

Ex-Troller,
Where are you going first from Florida? I am leaving June 17th for Phoenix, then to Red Lodge Mt for the Harley Owners Group June 27-July 1 with my daughter. I will then go back to Torrington Wy (SE corner of the state for a couple of days). I am going to leave Torrington on the morning of July 3rd and be in Boise on Wed the 5th to help with set up and registration. My daughter's place in Torrington is a decent place to stop as long as you have your own bedding and don't mind the fact that her seven kids never met a stranger.

I am going to Colorado for that part of the triple, but I have not yet decided if I can be gone any longer than that so I don't yet know about Vermont.

rand

X-Troller
X-Troller's picture

Well some things have changed and it looks like I will not be doing the Tour. I'll probably only be able to make the MOA rally in VT. I'll keep on checking in on this forum though to keep up with those of you who will be makin' it. I had already pre registered for Boise and had signed up for the dinner so someone can have my spot there.
Good luck to all.
Knick

Knick

05 R1200ST

03 Vespa ET4

Blut&Eisen
Rally and POA

Leaving Lancaster, PA on or about July 2. First leg will attempt the SS1000.
Route will take me from Iowa up to Jackson, WY; then over to Boise. Plan only one or two days at the rally then meander on down to CO. From CO, bee line to VT - gotta get across the boring Central States as fast as I can!! See you on the road, or maybe partner up.

Karl
'05 R1200GS
'07 Toyota FJ Crusier
So confused -which one to ride/drive

Joe Petty
Joe Petty's picture
Is it already June?

Boy the time flies!

Went out and got a road atlas today and started making some calculations.

I'll leave around the 1st and spend a day visiting my Mother in Gainesville, Fl.
That leaves around 2500 mi. to Boise, which should make for 4 travel days at 6-7 hundred per day.

Working backwards, that sets "Last night out" around Rawlings Wy. to get to the Friday night dinner.
So for a first cut: Gainesville, Chattanooga, Kansas City, Rawlings then Boise

More later...

Joe

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Yeah, no joke. June already?

We're heading out of here the Friday before and spending a few days in Colorado first. Then we'll take a scenic route to Boise.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Joe Petty
Joe Petty's picture
Last night out

On closer inspection...

Looks like Flaming Gorge NP area on the Utah/Wyoming border might be a nice place to stop on Thursday.
I just sent off for the free brochure from the Utah travel service.
Need to see what the situation is, since camps will be at capacity with the Holiday!

That leaves around 500 mi. into Boise on Friday.

Kind of in a hurry going west, but should have lots of time for sightseeing on the Boise-Paonia leg.

MJStone

I'll be leaving North East, MD on the 29th and spending the 4th holiday in Denver. I'll then take a round about route to Boise.

MJStone

Joe Petty
Joe Petty's picture

Well, I ended up here in Moline Ill. for today (4th).

Doing a little light touring by the River today, sightseeing in Iowa, then heading West at 4AM

Joe

X-Troller
X-Troller's picture

Keep up the dialogue since I can't make till the MOA your posts are appreciated

Knick

05 R1200ST

03 Vespa ET4

Joe Petty
Joe Petty's picture
Peak'ed out

Back home after 28 days and 10824 miles on the K1!

Really an eye-opener for a Florida guy and just made me realize some of the places I want to make time to visit before I get much older.
Visited a lot of old friends along ther way, and met a bunch of people who were up to the challenge of the Peaks tour.

Thanks to Greg for putting this together and doing an excellent job in Idaho to boot!

Joe

Vanvumnew (not verified)

Where you get it???

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

Joe Petty wrote:
Back home after 28 days and 10824 miles on the K1!

Really an eye-opener for a Florida guy and just made me realize some of the places I want to make time to visit before I get much older.
Visited a lot of old friends along ther way, and met a bunch of people who were up to the challenge of the Peaks tour.

Thanks to Greg for putting this together and doing an excellent job in Idaho to boot!

Joe

I'm just stating to get caught up on things, so sorry about the long delay in my reply. I'm really glad you had a great ride, and it was especially nice to see another K1 at the RA Rally! Unfortunatly, my K1 "Tron" doesn't get to make much more than weekend rides, so to see someone like you go the distance on your bike is really inspiring.

Come back out west any time you want, we have a lot more roads you didn't see - but would like to! Biggrin

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

Join the BMW Riders Association