Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Boise here I come !!! Traveling from Morgan Hill, CA

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture
Boise here I come !!! Traveling from Morgan Hill, CA

Hello,

I am a BMW newcomer with a chronic case of midlife crisis. Last December I purchased pre-owned '95 R1100GS with lower mileage and some deferred maintenance. The last six months have been spent repairing and preparing for this rally. I feel like a kid visiting Disney World ! Have a safe and fun journey...I hope to see all of you in Boise !

Sincerely,

Rick Fujino

Edited by: bmw95gs on 2006-07-06 15:37
pmdave

Well, I'm an oldcomer, but the great thing about BMW rallies is that everyone is welcome--even riders of brands X, Y, and Z.

Before zipping off toward Boise, I suggest you print out the rally program and make some hard decisions about what you want to include. There are a dizzying number of rides, seminars, courses, and social events to squeeze into 3 days.

pmdave

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture
Welcome!

bmw95gs wrote:
Hello,

I am a BMW newcomer with a chronic case of midlife crisis. Last December I purchased pre-owned '95 R1100GS with lower mileage and some deferred maintenance. The last six months have been spent repairing and preparing for this rally. I feel like a kid visiting Disney World ! Have a safe and fun journey...I hope to see all of you in Boise !

Sincerely,

Rick Fujino

Rick, I think we all can relate to that "Disney World" feeling! I've been riding for over 30 years and I still get it, especially from an early morning ride far from home when it's just me, the bike, and an unfolding ribbon of highway.

I'm guessing this is your first BMW rally, or first one in a long while. In which case I hope we've done a good enough job on this one to keep you coming back for more. Secondly, if you want to double your fun - volunteer for something at the Rally. It really connects you with folks, you'll make new friends, and the rally becomes yours. It's addictive in it's own way just like riding!

Ride well - see you in Boise!

Greg Feeler
1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS
2006 "Discover Yourself In Idaho" RA Rally Co-Chair
BMW MOA President

bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture

pmdave wrote:
Well, I'm an oldcomer, but the great thing about BMW rallies is that everyone is welcome--even riders of brands X, Y, and Z.

Before zipping off toward Boise, I suggest you print out the rally program and make some hard decisions about what you want to include. There are a dizzying number of rides, seminars, courses, and social events to squeeze into 3 days.

pmdave

Thank you for the recommendation. So many choices...so little time...

Rick Fujino

bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture

GregFeeler wrote:
Rick, I think we all can relate to that "Disney World" feeling! I've been riding for over 30 years and I still get it, especially from an early morning ride far from home when it's just me, the bike, and an unfolding ribbon of highway.

I'm guessing this is your first BMW rally, or first one in a long while. In which case I hope we've done a good enough job on this one to keep you coming back for more. Secondly, if you want to double your fun - volunteer for something at the Rally. It really connects you with folks, you'll make new friends, and the rally becomes yours. It's addictive in it's own way just like riding!

Thank you...Yes, this is my first BMW rally...also my first BMW motorcycle. This rally program has just about anything for anybody without having to travel 3000+ miles from home. Yes, I expect to have some free time to volunteer...sometimes it is good to take a break from the hustle and bustle of program schedules. Is there a place a where one can informally volunteer?

Rick

bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture

GregFeeler wrote:

Thank you...Yes, this is my first BMW rally...also my first BMW motorcycle. The BMW RA Boise Rally has much to do and see without having to travel 3000+ miles from home. Yes, I expect to have some free time to volunteer...sometimes it is good to take a break from the hustle and bustle of program schedules. Is there a place a where one can informally volunteer?

Rick

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

bmw95gs wrote:
Thank you...Yes, this is my first BMW rally...also my first BMW motorcycle. The BMW RA Boise Rally has much to do and see without having to travel 3000+ miles from home. Yes, I expect to have some free time to volunteer...sometimes it is good to take a break from the hustle and bustle of program schedules. Is there a place a where one can informally volunteer?

Rick

I'm not sure what "informally" volunteer means :confused:, but there will be a volunteer table at the Registration tent where you can find out what we need help with and pick something that sounds good for you. See you soon! Wink

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture

GregFeeler wrote:
I'm not sure what "informally" volunteer means :confused:, but there will be a volunteer table at the Registration tent where you can find out what we need help with and pick something that sounds good for you. See you soon! Wink

Greg,

Sorry for the confusion...I meant a place were one can drop-in "informally" to volunteer...like a volunteer table. Thank you for the reply. English is my second language...

Rick

GregFeeler
GregFeeler's picture

bmw95gs wrote:
Greg,

Sorry for the confusion...I meant a place were one can drop-in "informally" to volunteer...like a volunteer table. Thank you for the reply. English is my second language...

Rick

I was just messin' with you. Wink

Greg Feeler
BMW MOA President

wbunning

bmw95gs wrote:
Hello,

Sincerely,

Rick Fujino

Ahhh... Morgan Hill. I grew up down the road in Gilroy. I'm enroute to Boise as well. I'd be taking the GS, but I was intercepted by a pair of flying pruning shears last week which did all kinds of mean and nasty things to my bike. Good ol' beemer that is, it took a pruning and kept on runnin' though:)

Right now I'm in Montpelier, Id. Off to Yellowstone tomorrow, then up into Montana, out through Big Hole and to Stanley, Id. on Wed. Then Thurs-Sat at the Rally!

bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture

GregFeeler wrote:
I was just messin' with you. Wink

A small fib...English is my primary language...with a last name like "Fujino"...I can claim another language when the need arises...

Rick

robdogg

wbunning wrote:
pair of flying pruning shears

say [="5"]WHAT?[/]

(grrrr, msg board says message was too short; have to enter more text here to get by the stupid limit)

bmw95gs
bmw95gs's picture

I found another GS rider, Mik from Pleasanton CA, who will be accompaning me to Boise. We expect to leave Pleasanton around 5am on Wednesday and arrive sometime late afternoon or early evening.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an evening's stay prior to the rally? A nearby campground? Are the hotels/motels filled to capacity?

Unfortunately, individual schedules do not permit us to arrive early as setup volunteers.

Thank You,

Rick

wbunning

robdogg wrote:
say [="5"]WHAT?[/]
(grrrr, msg board says message was too short; have to enter more text here to get by the stupid limit)

Yep... flying pruning shears. A fella had just finished doing his landscaping exercise, left the long-handled shears on top of his suburban on the way to the dump.

We apexed a corner simultaneously at about 45 mph each. The suburban made the turn, the shears didn't, and flew right at me. They hit the pavement at my front wheel, bounced/flipped up and under the left side of the tank, slicing a 3-inch hole in the tank, busting the left side fairing piece, compromising the oil-return line from the cooler, and other collateral damage. Fuel leaked onto the header, etc. I plugged the crack in the tank temporarily with gum, jerked the tank off and stood it up (crack was high). Broke out the JB weld, duct-taped the fairing back on and was back in business, more or less, as soon as the JB weld healed.

Whew. Could have been much worse. Imagine a 24" pair of shears, opened up to maybe 36", going through the spokes at those speeds.

Oh well. Chit happens,eh?

Join the BMW Riders Association